- (Serves 6)
- Â¼ cup Appetit extra virgin olive oil
- 400g Appetit diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 eggplants, thickly sliced
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g lamb mince
- Â½ cup dry red wine
- Bechamel Sauce:
- Â½ cup Dodonis kefalotyri cheese, finely grated
- 3 cups milk
- 1 brown onion, halved
- 3 cloves
- Â½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg, small pinch
- 50g butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
1.In a large frying pan, heat 1 tbs oil over medium heat. Cook 3 eggplant slices for 1-2 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Repeat with remaining eggplants, adding more oil as necessary.
2. Heat remaining oil in the same pan. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add the mince and cook, breaking up the lumps, until mince changes colour. Add the oregano, tomatoes and wine, and cook, stirring, for 15 minutes or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat. Season with salt, pepper.
3. To make bechamel, in a saucepan over medium heat, combine onion, bay leave, cloves, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg. Simmer. Remove from heat and set aside for 30 minutes.
4. In a large saucepan over high heat, melt the butter. Add the flour, cook, stirring until well combined. Remove from heat. Strain the milk mixture and add to the flour mixture. Return to heat and whisk until well combined. Cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
5.Preheat oven to 180Â°C. Grease an ovenproof, 2L capacity dish. Spoon half the mince mixture into the dish, then layer half the eggplant slices. Continue to layer with remaining mince and eggplant. Pour over bechamel sauce and top with kefaotyri. Bake for 30 minutes or it is golden brown and heated through.